Sunday, September 24, 2006

Last Day at Dunk

Got up early and went to the jetty. By early I mean early -- 4:00 am. There was no wind and the water was clear for a change -- you could see about 6' into the water! Got to the jetty and the pike from last night were still in the lights. I hooked two in a fly using the 7 weight -- but the 7 weight completely overpowered them!!! I then lost the fly due to their teeth, so I switched to soft plastics.


The lights on the jetty went out (at 5:00 am I think), and the pike dispersed. I got a few tentative hits on the soft plastic -- but they were obviously pike that were scattered about the jetty. As the dawn light appeared over the island the fish reappeared under the jetty. A pile of pike, but with trevally underneath. Hooked a nice trevally, but it wrapped me around the pilons. Had some heart stopping moments as I tried to get the trevally interested in the jerk bait -- but I had no more success.


I tried close into the shore, where the tide was rising over the rock bank next to the shore. Using soft plastics (3" jerk baits), I got 2 x marbled cod, 2 x (small silver fish with a yellow tail and a black spot), and lost the barracuda that was sitting under the jetty looking for a victim. A family came down for their morning walk and they pointed out a flounder, and a lionfish. The lionfish stalked by jerk bait, but didnt bite!


Alex came to get me and it was time to go. I was late, and in the dog house -- but what is a fishing trip without a late return!

No comments: