Friday, September 22, 2006

Dunk Island Day 6

A missed chance.

The weather was clearing up. I wanted to rent a tinny and go out. Alex wanted to go too, so I waited till the afternoon, as he had horse riding in the morning. The riding was good apparently! Then we wanted to walk to the top of the mountain -- a good walk! But it took too long, and I got back at 2:00 pm. As the tinnies had to be returned at 4:00, it all seemed to hard. So I gave up on the boat idea.

I took the gear and walked past Muggy Muggy. By clambering over rocks, I got to a nice steep drop off with relativly clear water. Some people in a rental boat were obviously having no luck, and seeing me with all of my gear, followed me to where I was going. Little did they know -- it was the blind leading the blind!

After much trying of soft plastics, tassie devils, etc. etc. I hooked a coral trout. All of 8" -- and on a 4" soft plastic! But it was a beautiful fish.

The people in the boat moved and tried several spots within eyesight. I did not see them land a fish in 2 hours.

Got back for dinner, and then tried the jetty. Hooked a couple of pike on a minnow jerk bait. There was another guy there who had been on the fishing charter that morning, but had caught very little! Like me, a lot of effort for minimal rewards!

No comments: