Sunday, September 17, 2006

Dunk Island Day 1

Got up early for the trip to Dunk island. We were eating breakfast when the bus driver appeared at the hotel -- we had a two hour bus trip down to the resort!!!! I wanted to get some more gear -- I was sure that I was low on fishing gear! But no time :(

We got to the jetty to go over to Dunk at 9:00 am. While we waited for the boat I explored the beach along with the kids. Found some interesting 'star' patterns in the sand where something had been digging!

When the boat arrived we loaded in, and headed over to the island. The trip was rough -- there was a 1m swell, and the boat was heading accross the swell, so there was a LOT of pitching! Susan and the kids grabbed seats -- and there was no room for me. So I had to stand in the sun for the trip across. I didnt have my hat, and when we got to the island I was sunburnt -- after only 20 minutes!

As the boat pulled in I looked under the jetty. There were thousands of baitfish in a big shimmering ball! This looked good! Hopes were high!

I spent the day walking to the farm with Elizabeth, eating lunch, and playing tennis and squash with both kids. It was, after all, a family holiday. There was a stiff breeze, and the temperature was not too high. In fact, it had been 19 the day before in Hobart, and it was only 22 or 23 in the tropics! But it was pleasant.

Went fishing on the jetty after the kids had gone to bed. It was dark, but the jetty was light. I tried soft plastics. Lost 3 to 'toothy critters'. Had a large fish (possibly a barra) grab one and go airborne. All I could see was the flared gills of this nice fish as it shook the lure free!!!! As an added bonus the bait under the jetty was being pursued by squid. I watched the squid stalking the bait for a long time. I couldnt get the squid to take my lure though -- they did try a couple of times, but no hook up!

No comments: