Saturday, September 23, 2006

2nd last day on Dunk


Getting desperate now. All that effort and no real fish to show for it!

I planned to get up early and go to the jetty. But we had snorkling booked on the reef. I assumed the snorkling was like the fishing trip -- it would start at 8:00 am. Hence, I didnt go fishing. But the snorkling started at 10:30 -- so I missed a great chance.

The snorkling was fantastic! The pic is Elizabeth with a 'sea pineapple' -- a type of sea cucumber

When we got back I was sunburnt, but it was my last evening! So I hobbled down to the jetty with my 7 weight and my soft plastics. The pilot was there again. I tried the fly rod, and got 3 pike in 3 casts. Then they figured out my fly was dangerous, and the fishing went quiet. I tried soft plastics, and eventually noticed some small fish fluttering right next to the pylon. I dropped the plastic as close to the pylon as I could, and was rewarded with a small batfish -- all of 5" long. The pilot took it for bait! Also caught a small silver fish with an upturned mouth -- very similar to a US shad, but only 5" long!

The pilot hooked a large fish on my batfish bait. It ran out to sea, eventually breaking the line. We think it was a ray -- it just kept going at a slow pace.

At 11:00 pm I gave up and went to get some sleep -- got to fish again in the morning!!!!

No comments: