Saturday, March 06, 2010

Getting wet with Eric

Eric called, and amongst work stuff we decided to go out for a fish on the Saturday morning. The plan was we would calle ach other at 8:00 am and decide what to do.

I had a tense Friday night (lost my Maharajah wargame), and woke up at 4:00 am on Saturday. After some early morning putzing, I headed down to Erics place, to be there at 8:00 am on the dot. The river was mirror calm - perfect for fishing / boating. I got to Erics, planning to call him and announce I was outside. But shock horror -- I didnt have his phone number in my mobile. And the house looked asleep. No worries -- I went to the end of Kingston beach (a few hundred meters away)and fished off the rocks. Got a follow from a small squid when using a yellow soft plastic.

Eric called, and said he would get the boat out and come around and pick me up, but that the wind was picking up. I walked towards the beach, leaving the rocks. In the 100 meters I walked the wind picked up dramatically. Suddenly you couldnt see the other side of the channel. Eric called to say it was too rough, and we decided to go to the fishing shop, and then down to NW river.

Fishing shop was fun. Eric bought a new life-preserver -- something I need to do too at some point.

Went to NW river. There was a guy fly fishing at the carpark, but he hadnt had much luck. We walked down stream and fished, but no luck. We kept going down and fished the estury. Eric got a descent flathead. The we walked back to the car, picking blackberries. The path went right along the river bank, and Eric joked about what would happen if he fell in. I volunteered that I would make sure his equipment had a good home. Then not 50 yards later, I wasnt paying attention where I placed my feet, and I toppled in. I remember thinking I have a choice how to fall, and twisting my body so my upper body landed on dry land, but the bottom half was soaked.
Like all good fishermen, I had a change of clothes in the car, so I change clothes and we went home. All in all a good days fishing -- lots happened!

No comments: