Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Conningham

Went out in the morning while there was still some cloud cover. Slowly drifted around past the sphinx. Got 25 flathead and 1 gurnard. While fishing for flathead all of a sudden the water behind me started boiling with blackbacks. Cast out and lost one. The water went quiet. And a strong wind came up. Started rowing back to conningham, trolling as I went. It was HARD going. Then the rod went over -- with a squid! Another squid was trying to eat the first one as I bought it in! I had to anchor and rest for a while. While anchored I span from the boat, and got a blackback. Finally rowed back against the head wind, totally knackered.

Went out in the late afternoon, after the wind had quieted down. As I walked down to the beach a school of blackbacks went ballistic right off the sphinx. I rowed over there toot sweet but no salmon to be found. Got 30 flathead and 4 octopus (or possibly the one octopus 4 times!). Finally started rowing back and trolling, and got two blackbacks.

Got home and Elizabeth and Saranya wanted to go out. So off again. Just off the beach. Elizabeth got 8 flathead and a cod. Saranya got 4 flathead. And I got 4 flathead and a cod. All small.

No comments: