Friday, December 09, 2005

Experts at Arthurs

Had to drive to Hobart for a course. So I took the opportunity to swing via Arthurs on the way down. The conditions were perfect -- a leaden sky, with a slight wind, and a cool but not cold temperature. I drove into the cowpaddock, and suited up with my new intermediate line. Attached a green wooley bugger, and off to the races -- hopefully.

After scrambling over the rocks and through the scrub to get to the lake, I found I was about 50 yards away from two other fishermen. They were both expert, carefully searching for fish.

I waded out slowly, and started flicking the wooly bugger out there. My new line cast beautifully -- I couldn't belive how well it cast! There was no fly life, so I was blind casting for fish. If only I could find some ....

After 30 mins one of the other fishermen gave a grunt. I looked over in time to see a nice fish go airborn about 100 yards away. So the fish were there! The fishermen were exchanging comments, and like all good fishermen I tried to eavesdrop to get a clue. I couldn't pick up much, but one thing I did get was 'it was a gentle touch'.

After an hour my bugger hit weed between two tussocks. 2 casts later it hit weed again. Since numerous casts between the tussocks both before and after had hit no weed, I think it was a fish short striking twice. And that was not the only short strike I got -- as it got darker I got more and more gentle taps. Now one of them did result in a lily pad leaf being attached to a hook. But I am sure others were short strikes. Finally, it was dark, and I decided to have a few more castsbefore going in. I got a hard hit, but no hookup. After a few more tries I decided I HAD to leave if I wanted to be able to find the car in the dark. So I left, and Arthurs still has me beaten. I've lost track of the trips there, but STILL no fish from Arthurs!

I saw lots of wildlife on the drive back:

23 kangaroos
2 possums
1 wombat
1 rabbit
1 deer -- I have never seen a wild deer in Tas before.

No comments: